What is the Open-Ended Question?
Information flows and alters each second you read this article. One may collect it from various websites. Nevertheless, surveys are the most effective way to gather the specific type of information. However, one must choose the exact type of questions to gain complete data. Open-ended questions come in handy as they provide more than just an answer of yes or no. Close-ended questions do not leave room for creativity and freedom. Therefore, the open ended questions examples below help the speaker give the full picture.
Categories of Open-Ended Questions
Open-ended questions require more than a single-word answer. They motivate the interview to be full of numerous ideas, discussions, and thoughts. Nobody knows what is going on in a customer’s mind unless asked directly and efficiently with the help of open ended questions examples below. Ever seen a pop-quiz when you open a website? They are one of the most commonly used ways for business to customer communication. The main categories of open-ended survey questions are:
What questions are usually asked in order to know about an object or sometimes a doer, a quality, or a particular action. An example can be, “What do you like about working at our company the most?” The person who asks the question does not expect a short answer but rather is interested in a personal opinion of one.
Why is another widespread type of open-ended question that wants to understand the reasons and intentions behind something. Surely, there is no way you can give a one-word answer to the “Why do you prefer watching movies over reading books?” question.
Lastly, the purpose of the how questions is to gain insight about the process and methods. If you hear “How are refrigerators made?” you probably would have to list the steps for a better explanation.
Open Ended Questions Examples based on Survey types
se to put in the questionnaire? Below, see the types of online surveys to comprehend what you need thoroughly:
- Customer Satisfaction Surveys
- Net Promoter Score (NPS) Surveys
- Event Surveys
- Product Surveys
- One-On-One Surveys
Open Ended Questions Examples for Customer Satisfaction Surveys
One of the best ways to stay in touch with customers is through customer satisfaction surveys. It enables business-customer communication actively and honestly. Using the best desk software and chatbots to manage communication with customers is advisable.
You can find 20+ open ended questions examples for customer satisfaction surveys here:
- How satisfied are you with your interaction with the customer service?
- How would you rate the quality of customer service experience?
- How much time did it take to answer your questions?
- How professional was our company?
- How well did the account manager provide help with your project?
- How effectively did our company follow the set deadlines?
- How probable is it that you will hire our company again?
- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied are you with your experience?
- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied are you with the final product?
- How would you describe our products?
- How would you rate the quality of the product?
- How well did our product fulfill your needs?
- What are your thoughts on the value of investments in the product based on how much money you spend on it?
- How would you rate the time spent creating the project or the product?
- How likely is it for you to purchase our products again?
- What are our competitors doing that you would want us to do as well?
- How is our product better than our competitors?
- How would you rate purchasing a product from our website?
- What can we improve to make the checkout process smoother?
- How easy was it to find the necessary information on our website?
- What features of our product are the most useful for you?
- If there were any, what concerns almost made you stop buying a product from us?
- How satisfied are you with product packaging?
Open Ended Questions Examples for Net Promoter Score (NPS) Surveys
Net Promoter Score or NPS is the indicator of customer/worker commitment to the company or brand. Putting questions in survey makers can help you to make NPS surveys to measure the loyalty of people to a certain product or service.
20 open ended questions examples presented below are there to guide you to make the best questionnaire.
- Why or why not would you recommend our product to a friend or colleague?
- How likely would you recommend our product?
- For how long have you been our customer?
- What is the main indicator or factors of your rating?
- Which functions of the product did you use the most?
- What removal from the product may make it better?
- What is your favorite part of the usage of our product?
- What benefits did your services give you?
- What problems did and did not solve our product?
- What suggestions do you have to make our services more suitable?
- How likely would you recommend our company as a workplace to a friend or college?
- What would you improve in the company to make the work-life better?
- What do you like the least about the company?
- Was there anything that was missing in your experience? If yes, what is it?
- How happy are you with the speed of quality changes of the website?
- How satisfied are you with the current conditions and terms at work?
- What would make you use our product or ask for services more often?
- How did you find out about our product and/or company?
- What were your alternatives if it did not work out with us?
- Please share your experience when our product/services helped you out.
Open Ended Questions Examples for Event Surveys
Post-event surveys are another productive way to improve business and get in sight of attendees. Receiving feedback after a specific event can be life-changing and thriving in the future.
Use 20+ open ended questions examples below to gain the best result from the survey:
- Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied are you with the event?
- What did you enjoy the most from the event?
- What improvements would you recommend?
- How organized was the event?
- How welcoming was the staff?
- Before the event, how necessary was the provided information?
- Before the event, how much information do you want to receive?
- How satisfied are you with the length of the event?
- How likely is it that you will attend our event in the future?
- How easy was it to get around the event platform?
- What problems did you encounter during the event?
- How would you rate the entertainment of the event?
- How satisfied are you with the convenience of the event platform?
- Elaborate on how much the event met your expectations.
- How did you find out about the event?
- How would you rate the performance of speakers/presenters?
- What was the best part/s of the event?
- How knowledgeable were the speakers/presenters?
- Share your opinion of the satisfaction of the provided food and drinks.
- What new piece of information have you learned that you may use in daily life?
- How can we improve the registration for the event process?
- How simple or complex did you find using the online platform for the event?
Open Ended Questions Examples for Product Surveys
Time is money – a phrase commonly known. As a result, time misused means no money. You may fail if you just create and sell something without understanding its benefits and disadvantages. In this case, product surveys come to lend a hand. Make sure to research must-have survey features for their full potential. Your business will flourish by taking a risk and hearing out customers’ concerns.
To avoid disastrous consequences, follow up with 20 open ended questions examples here:
- How can we improve our product?
- Based on your experience, why would you not buy the same product?
- How long have you been using our product?
- In comparison to our competitors, how is our product better?
- How did customer service match with your satisfaction with solving the issues?
- How would you rate the possibility of using our services again?
- In what ways did you find the most comfortable to receive our product?
- How did you first encounter the sale of our product?
- Before purchasing the product, how much did you know about the product?
- What captured your interest in using our product?
- What comes to your mind when you think of our services or products?
- How would you describe our product?
- For what did you purchase the product?
- How did our product influence your daily life?
- How satisfied are you with the design of the product?
- Please share your experience with the mobile version of our product.
- What further comments do you have about our product?
- How satisfied are you with the work speed of the product?
- What expectations did you have before purchasing the product?
- How satisfied are you with the provided guidelines for using the product?
Open Ended Questions Examples for One-On-One Surveys
As the same suggests, one-on-one or individual surveys evolve around asking questions only to one person. That person can be both a customer or a worker. Those individuals are usually the ones who agreed to take further interviews to help a company gain better insight.
Tete-a-tete interviews sound exhausting for some, so a singular questionnaire is set to only one person. This way, more people would be willing to engage. But how to make them feel comfortable in an online quiz? One way is to look for the best job interview questions. However, for the best result, the 20 open ended questions examples below help to create an engaging atmosphere.
- What kind of issues are you solving with our product or service?
- For what reasons are you looking for the possible use of our product?
- For which factors would you be willing to sign up for a paid subscription?
- Why or why not would you sign up for a paid subscription?
- For what reasons would you stop using our service?
- Would you ever take a bribe for a client to sign up for a paid subscription? If not, why not?
- For what reasons would you lie to the management or boss?
- What would you do if you had no choice but to work with someone less hardworking than you?
- What is your evaluation of the stability in your current workplace?
- How pleased are you with the resolution of issues in your current workplace?
- What did you learn from encountering issues at the workplace?
- What salary is the most suitable for your work and why?
- What was your biggest mistake in the workplace?
- Please describe the best working conditions according to your current job.
- Which parts of the product are inconvenient to use?
- On which did you waste most of your money or time during the service?
- Can you share your experience of the usage of competitors’ products?
- What would you say to a first-time user of our product or service?
- What future expectations do you hold about our product?
- What would encourage you to use our services more often in the future?
How to Sum Up the Gathered Data
After choosing the most suitable ones from open ended questions examples, upload your quiz to a commonly used website, such as WordPress. Finally, It is time to organize data and notes! After conducting informative and time-saving surveys, it is time to sort out information from open-ended questions and examples of answers. For better analysis, follow up on some steps:
- go back to the main purpose of the survey
- compare different groups’ results together, and cross the ones you do not need
- analyze the data
- elicit from the data
Now you know which questions and how to use them for the best result possible.