If you are looking forward to learning How to Add Widgets to WP Pages and Posts in 5 simple steps, then this article is definitely for you. Widgets are amazing add-ons because they allow you to add extra functionality to your website. So I suggest that we do not waste our time, and let’s start right away.
What are Widgets?
To start from the very beginning, let’s figure out what widgets are. Basically, widgets are blocks of content. Those are blocks that you can usually add to your WordPress sidebar, footer, and other widget areas on your site.
Widgets contain elements that are separate from an individual page or post. Also, those are usually visible in every area of your website; however, here, you have total control over visibility, which means that you can choose where to display the widget, e.g., only on the home page.
If you want to add a widget to your website, you will have to register rit in the widget area. Your theme usually creates those areas because they are strongly connected to designs and layouts rather than functionality. Most themes include widget spaces in the sidebar and footer, while others include several widget locations throughout the theme.
And it Is worth mentioning that most WP website themes come with quite lots of preloaded widgets. This is a huge advantage because, in this case, you do not need to code anything or add additional plugins, which may slow down your website. However, you will still be able to add as many widgets as you want through plugins and coding.
Why Would You Need Widgets?
Widgets are the easiest way to add image galleries, social media feeds, and even quotes and posts (alongside other elements that add dynamics to your website) to your website. WordPress widgets are extremely useful because they let you add all kinds of content to your website quite easily.
You can use widgets whenever you want to add extra content somewhere on your website, including pages and posts. Widgets are truly useful, not only for you but also for your users.
What Kind of Widgets is Available on WordPress?
There are multiple types of widgets available for WordPress. Also, you can download several of them from the WordPress plugin directory. There are all kinds of widgets available, such as media, social media feeds, navigation, search, maps, and many other sorts of information. The vital thing here is not to go overboard. Let’s review a few types in more detail:
- Shopping Cart Widget: This widget can be quite helpful for those who use WooCommerce in order to turn their WP website into a full-featured WooCommerce store.
- Login Widget: This widget is in case you have a membership website. Way to go, because your customers won’t have to visit a separate login page in order to register or log in, they can just click on the widget button and log in.
- Form Widget: including a form widget on your website is a great idea if you want your customers to contact you. This widget will help them to easily find the contact us information and send you their questions, feedback, or suggestions.
- Media Widget: this widget is quite useful because it allows you to add a media sidebar widget to your website so that visitors will be able to easily view images on the footer or sidebar of your website. This widget also allows you to turn images into links.
- Call to Action Widget: this is an amazing widget that will help you to encourage your users to follow call-to-actions. It can be a simple button with text on it, an HTML widget, or an image widget.
How to Add Widgets to WP Pages and Posts – in 3 Simple Steps
Finally, let’s start reviewing the “How to” part of our article, starting with the first step. Because we are not reviewing the coding part of adding widgets, we chose one of the most straightforward plugins for that called “AMR Shortcode Any Widget.” Why would you want to add a widget with a plugin when you can even do that without it? The answer is simple, while default widgets just add it, widgets added by plugin let you control where to display them; you can even enable or disable them for specific pages and posts.
Besides, the plugin we use has over 80.000+ active installations, 4.5 out of 5-star ratings, and gets regular updates. So if you are ready, let’s just start.
As we mentioned a bit earlier, do not go overboard and add widgets that are going to be truly useful. In order to start off with everything, follow the steps mentioned down below:
- Go to WP admin’s dahsboard
- Click on Plugins > Add New
- On the search line type “AMR Shortcode Any Widget” > Click on Install > Activate
- Check the sidebar and access the plugin’s settings (dashboard)
2. Understanding the Plugin
This plugin is extremely simple to use, it converts widgets into shortcodes, and you can paste those shortcodes into any page or post on your website. Moreover, shortcodes can be used to add more than one widget. And most importantly, this plugin works well with both Classic and Gutenberg Editor.
3. Copy & Paste the Shortcode
Copy the shortcode of the widgets you need, and paste them into the visual editor of a post or a page. These are every step you need to complete in order to Add Widgets to your WP posts and Pages.
How to Add Widgets to Your WP Pages and Posts Without Plugin
We have already reviewed how to add a widget to your website with a plugin; alongside the benefits; however, plugins also come with downsides, such as slowing down your website. Plugins are extra pieces of information that tend to increase the loading time of your website. Moreover, some of you may not need to display widgets on specific pages or posts, so there is no need to go through troubles of installation and customization; you can just do everything from the dashboard.
Step by Step Guide
So here are the steps presented in the bullet points:
- In order to add a widget to your website, the very first step you need to take is to log in to your admin’s dashboard and basically access your website from the backend.
- Afterward, go to Appereance > Widgets > Add a New Widget
- Over there, you will be able to review the list of default WordPress widgets available, with their brief descriptions.
- To add any widget from there, in case your theme already does not have operating ones, you just need to use the drag & drop editor and drop it to the widget area. By doing the opposite, you can remove widgets from your website, and in order to reorder widgets, you can drag them up or down.
In the “How to Add Widgets to WP Pages and Posts – in 5 Simple Steps” article, we tried to explain the steps in a maximum simple way, and we truly hope it was useful for you. Widgets are incredible add-ons for your website, which can perform many interesting functions and add lots of necessary elements which will level up your website. So, it is truly crucial to know how to add them.
If you liked the article do not forget to check out our YouTube channel with tons of WordPress tutorials! And you can find us on Facebook & Twitter, where we post interesting updates about upcoming events.
Also, check out the must-read articles! In this list, you will find very useful articles which will help you to level up your website. Articles on the WPGlob website are categorized accordingly to make your user experience better. Under each category, you will find articles aimed to help you start off with WP, check out reviews, and market your own plugins.
Beginners Guide – this is the category of our blog created especially for beginners. Under this category, you can find everything necessary to get started with WordPress. Each article under this category is written in simple and understandable language. If you are just starting your journey with WordPress, check it out!
Plugin Reviews – under this category you will find every necessary article related to different plugins. Each article presents a plugin and provides full and honest insights into it. Usually, every article under this category includes main features, pros and cons, and general ratings of the plugin which is being reviewed.
Top Lists – under this tab users can find out the best plugins among other competitors. Each article under this category is aimed to save your time on research, and provide you with a ready list of the best.
Plugin Promotion – this is a relatively new category on our website. However, even now under this category, you will be able to find many crucial plugin marketing articles, which will help you to promote your website. With these articles, you will understand how to increase active installs in WP, how to write an effective plugin description, and how to promote the plugin.
- CatFolders Review – Best WP Folders Plugin | 2023 - November 17, 2022
- Differences Between Organic and Paid Marketing - November 11, 2022
- WordPress Block Themes Creation and Full-Stack Editing - October 27, 2022
1 thought on “How to Add Widgets to WP Pages and Posts – in 3 Simple Steps”
Nice article easy to understand….. Thanks 🙂