Gutenberg is a famous block editor that is a nice alternative to the Classic editor. It has many beneficial functions to ease your work as a blogger, content writer, or simply a user who wants to have a great experience on WordPress. Almost all the expected and needed blocks you will find in this Block Editor. And you should just click on the block type to get a quick result like Quotes, Codes, Shortcodes, Verse, etc. Though it is a beneficial tool to manage your posts and articles very quickly and easily it can still be hard for some users to adjust. So, in this case, they prefer the Classic Editor instead of Gutenberg. As this topic is very interesting and helpful, in this article, we decided to guide you on how to easily disable the Gutenberg Editor.
What is the WordPress Gutenberg Block Editor?
Basically, it is a simple way to edit WordPress blocks in just a few clicks. Gutenberg has over 300,000 active installs in the WP Repository. It is foreseen to modernize the writing process on WP. As well as, it serves as a page builder allowing you to utilize the drag and drop feature while writing content. It is more flexible and full of many functionalities. The Block Editor enables you to get your desired design in a certain part of your content automatically.
However, some users do not like the Block Editor so much. As along with its advantages, it has some disadvantages too. At this point, you will obtain some knowledge about the Gutenberg Block Editor’s cons and pros.
- Various types of blocks – when you use the Block Editor every single part of your content becomes a block. Every new paragraph is a separate block with various functions that you can utilize. As a separate block, you can customize them separately by choosing a unique style or design for each of them.
- TinyMCE editor available – while using Gutenberg you can still keep TinyMCE editor and find it in the “Classic” function of the Block Editor.
- Old posts and pages are refactored
- It is developer-friendly – So, the plugin’s developers can easily build their desired blocks
- You are able to search the blocks
- Drag and Drop features – You may easily move and replace the blocks if needed due to the editor’s drag and drop features
- Fullscreen mode – You can write in a fullscreen mode
- Information box available – Here you can reveal the word count, number of headings, subheadings, paragraphs, and blocks
- New UI that is not so easy to perceive
- Might conflict with already installed plugins and themes
- You can not edit content from the frontend
- Some keyword shortcuts are not actual
Why Might You Like To Disable Gutenberg Editor?
Although it has many functionalities that will be definitely effective while writing content some users still prefer the WordPress Classic Editor. The has some reasons. One of the main reasons is that the Classic Editor is simple to use. Besides, some plugins are not compatible with the Block Editor. As well as it can not be supported by the page builder you use on your WP website.
And if you do not want to work with this tool, then you can easily disable it and use another one. At this point, we will present some different ways for it.
1. Disable Gutenberg with the Classic Editor
So, in this case, you disable the Gutenberg Block Editor by installing the Classic Editor. The latter is not a new plugin. It just restores the custom WordPress Editor that you have used previously. The Classic Editor was developed by WP contributors and is approved by the WP Core team. It scores more than five million active installations and 1019 5-stars in the WordPress Repository.
So, this is the first and fastest method to disable Gutenberg. You can install it from wordpress.org or else install it from your Admin’s dashboard “Plugins” directory.
Due to the WordPress Classic Editor, you are able to:
- Select default editor for all users
- Let them determine which editor they want while typing their content
- Permit the users to choose the default editor
- Open each post in the last used editor to keep consistency during the editing process.
So, it hides the Gutenberg functionalities by default.
2. Disable Gutenberg with Plugins
Alternatively, if you do not want to use the Classic Editor, then you can surely activate other plugins to disable Gutenberg easily. Fortunately, you may find many free options in the WordPress Repository to do so. Here are some of them:
This is the first plugin from our list having more than 1000 active installs and scoring 5-stars in the WordPress Repository.
After activating this plugin you can totally disable Gutenberg Block Editor and automatically enable the Classic Editor. One of the crucial features of this plugin is that it does not affect your available theme. It has a small size and can not harm your website performance.
The No Gutenberg plugin was developed by Fernando Tellado. It has more than 10000 active installs and 13 5-stars.
While WordPress 5x presented the Gutenberg Block Editor, WP 5.9 implemented global styles for FSE (Full Site Editing). This considered loading plenty of new inline styles on pages. Yet, as some users refuse to use the Block editor the No Gutenberg plugin can be a great help. It enables you:
- Completely disable the Block Editor and FSE
- Displays the Classic Editor by default
You are not required to work hard with this plugin. Instead, you have to just activate it. However, you should take into account that the plugin requires WordPress 4.9 or the newer version, as well as at least PHP 5.6 with activated Gutenberg Block Editor.
3. Disabling WordPress With Code
If the mentioned two options are not enough convenient for you then you can simply do it manually by adding a code piece to your theme’s function.php file. Here is a code piece to be utilized:
add_filter('use_block_editor_for_post', '__return_false', 10);
While doing this action you need to be very attentive. If something is wrong it will surely affect your site.
Yet, if you do not want to add the code piece manually or you simply do not know how to do that then there is another option that you will surely like.
You may install and activate a plugin that will add a snippet instead of you.
So, here is the Code Snippets plugin that has over 600000 active installations and 321 5-stars in the WordPress Repository. The plugin enables you to add code snippets on your website without adding custom ones to your theme’s functions.php file.
If you wonder to know what is a snippet then it is a small PHP code intended to expand the WP website functionality. And you can activate and deactivate the snippets like plugins making the process even simpler than you might expect.
All of the above-mentioned ways are highly recommended when you decide to disable the Gutenberg Block Editor for some of the below-spotted reasons:
- You find the Editor hard for your everyday working process
- A third-party plugin that you necessarily use on your website is not compatible with Gutenberg
- Your current page builder does not support the Block Editor
- The Classic Editor and its functionalities are preferable or you
Perhaps, there might be other reasons that we do not note here. Yet, you may use these disabling methods without any doubt.
Find Your Needed Topic According To The Category
WPGlob is a platform that provides articles and guides for WordPress beginners, experts, and simply those who are interested in it. Here are the categories to choose from while searching for your desired topic:
Beginner’s Guide: If you are a WordPress beginner who does his/her first steps in the WP world then the articles in this section can be highly helpful to you. Here you will learn how to use WordPress, and discover some of the best plugins and their functionalities.
Plugin’s Review: In this section, you will meet all the best plugins deeply reviewed. Besides the features presented in an understandable way, you can easily find the way of usage, paid version pricing, etc.
Top Lists: Here you may easily find the best plugins listed around a certain topic. For example, you may meet the best SEO plugins compared, top shipping and delivery plugins, and so on.
Holidays: Here you will find the best deals of WP product development companies for different holidays, such as New year, Black Friday, etc.
Plugin Marketing: This section’s articles will definitely help you present, boost and sell your WordPress product very quickly and effectively. Here you will learn how to write a proper description for the WP Repository, how to increase the product’s active installations, etc.
- The Most Flexible Wishlist for WooCommerce – Analytics and Emails Plugin – Review 2023 - November 1, 2022
- Quform Plugin Review 2023 – The Only WordPress Form Plugin You Need For Your Site - October 24, 2022
- WooCommerce Product Filters Plugin by Barn2 Review - October 19, 2022