You have probably encountered English tests containing so many questions with multiple choice. They are too important to test your knowledge and discover new things related to the language. Moreover, some people seek to learn English with these tests. So, it is essential to find qualified ones written and managed thoroughly and creatively. Here you can get 100+ general English questions with answers to test not only your grammar knowledge but also word order, spelling, definition, etc.
1) Choose the right answer: The Earth ————— around the Sun.
- Has moved
- Has been moving
Answer: 1) Moves
2) Find the synonym of the word with bold:
Today the weather is variable.
Answer: 1) Sifting
3) What is the right spelling of the word: “mtrienagon”.
- Morning tea
- Tea time
Answer: 3) Morning tea
4) Choose the synonym of “Generic”.
Answer: 4) Basic
5) I received two presents. Yet, I liked ————— them.
- All of
- Neither of
- Some of
- Most of
Answer: 2) Neither of
6) ————— can complete the work?
- How much
Answer: 2) Who
7) This is a good presentation, —————?
- Isn’t it
- Wasn’t it
- Does it
- Doesn’t it
Answer: 1) Isn’t it
8) What is the right word order?
- It is the biggest country, it isn’t?
- The biggest country it is, isn’t it?
- It is country the biggest, it isn’t?
- It is the biggest country, isn’t it?
Answer: 4) It is the biggest country, isn’t it?
9) Which one of these sentences is incorrect?
- We hardly complete the work.
- They worked so hard.
- He walked so quickly.
- She completed the task slowly.
Answer: 1) We hardly complete the work.
10) The boy ————— so good.
Answer: 1) Looks
11) What is the Antonym of “rural”.
Answer: 1) Urban
12) What is the definition of this phrase?
“The Alfa and the Omega”
- The beginning and the end
- Famous and unknown
Answer: 2) The beginning and the end
13) What does the idiom means?
“Hit the sack?”
- Hit the wall
- Go to sleep
- Go to walk
- Find the right answer
Answer: 2) Go to sleep
14) What is the right spelling of “sahttoamye”?
- Stay at home
Answer: 2) Stay at home
15) What does this idiom mean?
“No pain, no gain”
- You need to work hard to get a result.
- To earn something you need to get sick.
- Pain will cause you to work.
- Working is not a good thing.
Answer: 1) You need to work hard to get a result.
16) What is the right idiom to this definition?
“The worst situation”
- Break the ice
- Add insult to injury
- Barking up the wrong tree
- A perfect storm
Answer: 4) A perfect storm
17) ————— the problems they had to solve, they still enjoyed the vacation.
- Despite of
- In spite of
Answer: 4) In spite of
18) “How long has Jane been living in Russia?”
“ ————— 5 years”
Answer: 3) For
19) I think this dress is ————— expensive.
- Too much
Answer: 1) Too
20) “The dog makes ————— much noise that we can not sleep”
- Such a
Answer: 3) So
21) What is the Synonym of “fanned out”?
- Turned out
- Spread out
- Got lost
- Called off
Answer: 2) Spread out
22) ————— we discuss the details, let me ask you whether you are interested in our offer.
- In spite of
Answer: 2) Before
23) ————— for our coffee break, the fire alarm rang.
- Hardly we set down
- Sitting down
- Just as we sat down
- As long as sitting down
Answer: 3) Just as we sat down
24) I like to read my newspaper ————— traveling to work.
- As soon as
- Because of
Answer: 1) While
25) Choose the odd word:
“We usually grow vegetables in our garden but this year we are not growing up any”.
Answer: 4) Up
26) Choose the odd word:
“The name of the hotel we stayed at in Jamaica was called “Grand Palace”.
Answer: 1) Called
27) Choose the odd word:
“Mozart was a very much unusual personality”.
Answer: 2) Much
28) What is the right order for this sentence?
- The atmosphere and the river
- Has caused
- Unfortunately, the waste from the factory
- Serious Pollution of
Answer: 3) 3241
29) Which one is the right choice?
“Did you see “Twilight 2” yesterday?”, Ann asked.
- Ann asked if I had seen “Twilight 2” the day before.
- Ann asked if I saw “Twilight 2” yesterday.
- Ann asked me that I saw “Twilight 2” yesterday.
- Ann asked me if I has seen “Twilight 2” two days ago.
Answer: 1) Ann asked if I had seen “Twilight 2” the day before.
30) Select the right answer;
“What nationality is the man she ————— ?” “He is English”
- Is married with
- Got married to
- Is married to
- Got married with
Answer: 3) Is married to
31) His wife has headaches quite often, —————?
- Doesn’t she
- Do they
- Does she
- Has she
Answer: 1) Doesn’t she
32) The Nile is the longest river in the world, ————— it?
Answer: 3) Isn’t
33) You haven’t registered for additional courses, ————— you?
Answer: 1) Have
34) The company has never provided good service, ————— it?
Answer: 2) Has
35) What does the phrase “ups and downs” mean?
- Tops and bottoms
- Floors and ceilings
- Takeoffs and landings
- Highs and lows
Answer: 4) highs and lows
36) I talked to Betty yesterday. ————— she would not admit her mistake.
- Even then
- Even if
- As if
Answer: 1) Even then
37) She is a good specialist. —————, I did not hesitate to ask her for help.
- So that
- Even though
Answer: 4) Therefore
38) He was shocked ————— what he had done.
- When he realized
- When he realized that
- As he realized that
- When realizing that
Answer: 1) When he realized
39) “Do you like living alone?”- “ Yes, and now I ————— for myself”
- Used to cook
- Used to cooking
- Am used to cooking
- Am used to cook
Answer: 3) Am used to cooking
40) “ ————— fish are there in the basket?”
- How much number of
- Do you know how much
- How many
- What is the number of
Answer: 3) How many
41) According to the economic rules, the greater the demand the ————— the price.
- The high
- The higher
Answer: 3) The higher
42) I dislike ————— in saltwater.
- For me to swim
- To swim
Answer: 2) Swimming
43) Match the words with their definitions.
A) Skin 1) The ability to do things that one finds frightening
B) Pedestrian 2) A person walking rather than traveling in a vehicle
C) Ambulance 3) The outer covering of something
D) Courage 4) A vehicle for taking people to and
5) A feeling of happiness and enjoyment
- A-3, B-4, C-2, D-5
- A-3, B-2, C-4, D-1
- A-3, B-5, C- 1, D-5
- A-3, B-2, C-5, D- 1
Answer: 2) A-3, B-2, C-4, D-1
44) We still live in Arizona in an apartment near ————— I study.
Answer: 2) Where
45) He had to work —————, otherwise he would have fallen behind the others.
- More hasrder
- The hardest
Answer: 3) Hard
46) I like warm countries, —————.
- As in Spain
- Like Spain
- As the Spain
- Like Spanish
Answer: 2) like Spain
47) Adriana ————— her mother.
- Looks like
- Is look like
- Is alike
- Is like
Answer: 1) looks like
48) Open the book ————— and look at the picture.
- At twenty-first page
- On page twenty-first
- At page twenty-one
- On the twenty-one page
Answer: 3) At page twenty-one
49) Which one of these definitions matches with the word “Frank”?
- Having or showing kind feelings towards others
- Not hiding his/her feelings, open and honest
- A person who is on the other side of a discussion, fight, etc.
- A good worker
Answer: 2) Not hiding what is in one’s mind, open and honest
50) Which one of these definitions matches with the word “Fragile”?
- Easily broken, damaged, or destroyed
- Having or showing elegance
- Unpleasantly cold
- Lacking fresh air or ventilation
Answer: 1) Easily broken, damaged, or destroyed
51) Which one of these definitions matches with the word “Hostility”?
- Friendly, welcoming behavior towards guests
- Bad luck
- Unfriendly or aggressive behavior
- Belonging to the past
Answer: 3) Unfriendly or aggressive behavior
52) Which one of these definitions matches with the word “Dense”?
- Getting very little rainfall
- Pleasantly warm
- Containing a lot of people or things in a small area
- The process of making something better
Answer: 3) Containing a lot of things or people in a small area
53) Which one of these definitions matches with the word “Misfortune”?
- A natural catastrophe
- Good luck
- A large area covered with trees
- Bad luck
Answer: 4) Bad luck
54) Which one of these definitions matches with the word “Heir”?
- A person who offers to participate in a task
- A person who shows the way
- Something that you do often
- A person who inherits and continues the work of a predecessor
Answer: 4) A person who inherits and continues the work of a predecessor
55) What is the right ending of the sentence?
“Had John accepted the money, ————— ”.
- He would have been admitted to the University.
- He would have paid his duties.
- He will have caught the taxi.
- He will not lose the match.
Answer: 2) He would have paid his rent in time.
56) What is the right ending of the sentence?
“ Wherever she goes, ————— ”.
- She always takes her children with her.
- To do the wrong thing.
- She cooks delicious meals.
- She will buy a new history book.
Answer: 1) She always takes the dog with her.
57) What is the right ending of the sentence?
“Though she does not have enough money, ————— ”.
- Ann buys whatever she wants.
- We ran to the room to see what had happened.
- Jonathan could not buy that car.
- Suzan usually avoided answering.
Answer: 3) Jonathan could not buy that car.
58) What is the right beginning of the sentence?
“ —————, often visits refugee camps in poor countries”.
- As the United Nations Ambassador, Salma
- Salma became involved in agrarian work
- She wants to differ from her colleagues
- She travels to rich countries
Answer: 1) As the United Nations Ambassador, Salma
59) What is the right beginning of the sentence?
“ —————, that energy flows through the human body along twelve lines or meridians”.
- People are becoming worried about the side effects of drugs and
- If you throw all the medicine in the world into the sea for
- Acupuncture is based on the idea
- Cosmetology is based on the idea
Answer: 3) Acupuncture is based on the idea
60) Today, aluminum ————— so widely ————— that it is hard to imagine the world without it.
- Was used
- Is being used
- Is used
- Will be used
Answer: 3) is used
61) Scientists have put an exact date on Armageddon, it ————— on September 21, 2030.
- Would occur
- Will occur
Answer: 3) will occur
62) The tradition of having candles on birthday cakes ————— back to the ancient Greeks.
- Has gone
- Is going
- Had gone
Answer: 1) Goes
63) The cocoa tree originally ————— from the Amazon rainforests.
- Was coming
- Is coming
- Will come
Answer: 1) Comes
64) Jane had to go on a long journey. She ————— her money in a pot and put butter over it.
- Had hidden
- Will hide
Answer: 2) Hid
65) I am writing to inquire about an item which ————— on one of the busses on Friday.
- Was left
- Was leaving
- Had been left
Answer: 1) Was left
66) Pygmalion ————— the King of Cyprus and a famous sculptor.
- Has been
- Had been
Answer: 3) was
67) Do you ever regret ————— to university?
- To go
- Being gone
- You going
Answer: 2) Going
68) Please ————— Jeniffer that the guests have arrived.
- Remind me telling
- Remember me to tell
- Remember telling
- Remind me to tell
Answer: 4) Remind me to tell
69) Why ————— so rude? He isn’t usually like that.
- Is Karl being
- Was Karl
- Does Karl
- Has Karl been
Answer: 1) Is Karl being
70) Emmy and Sally are not talking to —————.
- One to another
- Each other
Answer: 4) Each other
71) She has been invited to ————— wedding ceremony next Sunday.
- Kevin’s and Sandy’s
- Kevin’s and Sandys’
- Kevin and Sandy’s
- Kevin and Sandys’
Answer: 3) Kevin and Sandy’s
72) Jenny has ————— exciting news to tell.
- A pair of
- Some of
Answer: 2) Some
73) What is your new roommate —————?
- Look like
Answer: 1) Like
74) There is ————— lemonade. Have another glass.
- A few
- A great deal
- Plenty of
Answer: 4) Plenty of
75) Did you let Mike ————— the event?
- To plan
- In planning
Answer: 2) Plan
76) ————— to try this dark green suit?
- Would you like
- Are you liking
- Do you like
- Are you like
Answer: 1) Would you like
77) This room is so dirty. It needs —————.
- To be cleaning
- Being cleaned
- To clean
Answer: 2) Cleaning
78) Are there ————— letters today?
Answer: 1) any
79) These jeans are too old. You need to buy —————.
- New one
- The new ones
- A new ones
- Some new ones
Answer: 4) some new ones
80) You ————— take the children out for a walk.
- Had better
- Would rather to
- Would better
- Had better to
Answer: 1) Had better
81) This museum is the most popular ————— in the country.
Answer: 4) Attractions
82) For many people, playing card games is 1 of the most ————— ways of spending their time.
Answer: 3) enjoyable
83) Apart from your home, your car is ————— your most valuable possession.
Answer: 1) Probably
84) ————— people get older, their sicknesses get harder and harder.
- Because of
- In order that
Answer: 1) As
85) This job is badly paid, ————— I’m looking for another one.
Answer: 2) So
86) Smoking is bad for health, ————— many people all over the world tend to smoke.
- So that
Answer: 1) Yet
87) ————— in this country as after the strong earthquake.
- Never the conditions were so serious
- When were the conditions so serious
- Never were the conditions so serious
- No sooner had the conditions been so serious.
Answer: 3) Never were the conditions so serious
88) Karen works so hard ————— he can get a more significant job.
- So that
- As soon as
Answer: 2) So that
89) His first acting role, ————— small, was a great success.
- In Spite of
Answer: 1) Though
90) The cobra is a very dangerous snake ————— bite may kill the human.
Answer: 4) Whose
91) He went as soon as he could ————— to help her sister complete the task by afternoon.
- So that
- Provided that
- So as
Answer: 3) So as
92) I like traveling by ship ————— the sea is not rough.
- As long as
- In case
Answer: 1) As long as
93) He was shocked ————— what she had done.
- When she realized
- When she realized that
- As she realized that
- When realizing that
Answer: 1) When she realized
94) Jenny looks so frightened. It seems ————— she has seen a ghost.
- As though
Answer: 3) As though
95) Choose the right ending.
“Be careful, don’t cut —————”
- Yourself with those scissors
- Yourself in the mirror
- Behave yourself
- Herself with the scissors
Answer: 1) Yourself with those scissors
96) Choose the right ending.
“The power of garlic is widely —————”
- Risks of cardiac are also increased
- Cholesterol levels are also lowered
- In our diet in different form
- Discussed today by the physicians
Answer: 4) Discussed today by the physicians
97) She made hundreds of pies, but she sold ————— them.
- None of
- Neither of
Answer: 2) None of
98) You can talk to the director, —————?
- Can you
- Can’t you
- Doesn’t you
- Don’t you
Answer: 2) Can’t you
99) Who ————— the flower?
- Does send
- Do send
- Did send
Answer: 2) Sent
100) The music sounds —————.
Answer: 4) Good
101) Neither you ————— your brother could go to the museum.
Answer: 3) Nor
102) Both me and my sister ————— a car.
- Has driven
- Does drive
- Was driving
Answer: 1) Drive
103) Do you remember ————— the letter?
- To post
- Is posting
Answer: 1) To post
104) Can you inform me when ————— leaving?
- Is the train
- The train is
- Was the train
- The train does
Answer: 2) The train is
105) You need to work very ————— to have success.
Answer: 4) Hard
- Newsomatic – Create Automatic News Posts on WordPress - June 24, 2022
- Best WordPress Cookie Consent Plugins – 2022 Comparison - June 23, 2022
- Wiremo VS Judge.me – Which Review Plugin is Better? - June 22, 2022